Things to teach your kids while at the aquarium that have nothing to do with fish (or aquatic mammals, for that matter):
- How to read a map
- How to ask grown-ups (employees) an intelligent question
- How to sort their lunch trash according to the compost/trash/re-use/recycle bins
- How to appologize to the lunch guy when you throw something in the wrong bin
- How to say thank you
- How to help younger sisters and brothers
- How to save cash by choosing a locker rather than using the coat check
- How to thank the employee who just saved you all that cash at the coat check by steering you over to the lockers when she sees just how many coats you have
- How to appreciate a really clean public restroom
- Choosing a decent lunch when you have lots of options
Lots of times people will ask me "How do you do it?" Generally they are asking me how can I have three kids and stay sane.
In all honesty, it's work. But this work, this training children to become intentional, thoughtful, God-seeking adults is incredibly rewarding.
No, they aren't perfect. But neither am I.
I have children that I enjoy being around. I can take them pretty much anywhere and they live and breath and learn and grow right there next to me. I understand how the Lord calls them a blessing. Being a wife and mama has taught me more about Him than I could have imagined possible.
It gives me the smallest idea of how really big families have so much love, more than enough to go around...